Sunday, June 14, 2009

Choices

I heard about a recent study that somehow measured the happiness level of American women today, as opposed to women in past generations. The study concluded that American women are more unhappy than ever. The reason for this unhappiness being the plethora of choices faced in our modern world. Going along with this a woman in church told a story about a man who worked and saved for many years to move from a small African nation to America. When he finally made it, he was asked what he thought of the USA. He replied, "This is a great place if you know God. But, if you do not know God you will get lost in the choices of this country." These ideas correlate perfectly with an uneasy feeling I have had lately about my children and how I am raising them. Sometimes I feel more like the Entertainment Director on a cruise ship, except I don't get paid and I'm not on a ship. I feel an overwhelming urge to be in a constant state of planning things to keep them entertained and stimulated. On any given day there are a million choices-classes they could take, sports they could be involved in, museums, parks, friends, movies, games, toys, TV, etc. But, I am beginning to see how too many choices, no matter how good they are, can cause unhappiness and disharmony. My best days with my boys are days that are unplanned, unstructured, and unbusy. These are also the days with the fewest choices and the days that I know that they can feel my love for them. Maybe I am getting too old and feeling a bit nostalgic for my own childhood. My childhood was one that consisted of two choices play inside or out and during the long winter months inside was really my only choice. Of course I also had the option of watching cartoons but they were over by 9AM. Not like today where there are 10 channels of 24/7 kid entertainment. I am not really sure what my point is to all of this rambling other than I am going to try a little harder to simplify my children's lives by eliminating some choices and trying less to entertain. The hypocrisy is that I am going to start as soon as we get back from Disney World this week. Old habits die hard!

2 comments:

Roscoe and Daisy said...

I love it! Have fun in Disney World- that place is awesome- you do a lot of fun stuff with you boys. I think your a great mom- I think its ok to sometimes spoil the boys- they deserve it! :) I love your blog entries and good idea on the dryer sheet in the boys collars- that's too funny!

Ginny Lubin Butler said...

I REALLY like that quote. So true. It was fun to see you guys last week!