Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rumble Jr.

Sometimes I expect to see a monkey swinging from the branches in my backyard trees, or a sloth lazily eating whatever it is that sloths eat, among the leaves. Yes, I think we live in a tropical rain forest (until winter and then I will complain about the arctic tundra). It rains every day. It is warm and humid. Everything is shady and damp but the biggest reason why I have this rain forest feeling is the creatures. This morning I fished 8 frogs out of the pool. We have snakes and lizards and bugs the size of my hand. We have an abundance of rabid looking squirrels and super fat chipmunks, not to mention the occasional rabbit or fox and this morning we found Rumble, a box turtle. We have spotted turtles before but this is the first one that was captured. Believe it or not turtles can be pretty fast- read one of Aesop's Fables if you don't believe me. The animal was named Rumble Jr. because Scott had a turtle as a child named Rumble. The boys know all about him.

Also, my children have been devoured by mosquitoes and no amount of bug spray seems to deter these annoying bugs. A lady told me to tuck BOUNCE dryer sheets into my clothes to keep the bugs away. It really works and explains the pictures of the boys with dryer sheets hanging off their collars.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Man my kids would have a hayday in your backyard! I would probably have a heart attack as Tia already likes to bring me all the bugs she finds. The only recommendation I can give you for the mosquitoes is Citronella oil.

Wendie said...

Or eat more bananas. Mesquitos don't like potassium rich blood.

Ginny Lubin Butler said...

Sounds like a boys' paradise! We're excited to see you guys! I'll try to round up some local wildlife to make you feel at home.

G&G said...

Hadn't seen these until tonight. Wow, that garden looks great and your pool is amazing. I'm especially jealous of the hot tub....

G&G said...

Oh, I fogot to mention Rumble, yes I remember Rumble, quite the turtle.