Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Not Braggin' BUT-Best Apple Pie Recipe EVER!

Nash has been learning about apples in preschool and they even baked an apple pie in his last class.  Of course this prompted the question from both of the boys, "Mom, why don't you ever make pie?  You know really make pie, not buy it from the grocery store."  I tried to explain to them that I didn't need to make my own pies when Marie Calendar already did such a good job making pies for me, but they noticed our heaping fruit bowl of apples and so I relented. We decided to make an apple pie together, something I have actually never done. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I'm gonna toot. I am pretty sure that I perfected apple pie baking with just one attempt. First, I rounded up the simplest recipes I could find from the Internet, cookbooks, and grandma. Then came up with my own compilation.  Here is the recipe. Enjoy, it wasn't scary at all!

Crust:
1 Cup of Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup of Ice Water
Sift flour and salt together.  Rub small pieces of the cold butter into the flour mixture until pea sized balls form.  Add water a few tablespoons at a time.  Using a generously floured countertop and rolling pin roll into thin round pattie and place in your lightly sprayed pie pan.

Filling:
5 1/2 Cups of Apples cored, chopped, but not peeled
1 TBLS. Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3 TBLS. Flour
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
Combine ingredients and place on top of crust in pie pan.

Topping:
3/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Butter/Margarine at room temperature
With fork mix ingredients into crumbs and sprinkle over pie filling.
Bake at 375 for 50 minutes. Cool and top with whipped cream or ice cream.
Atley LOVED the pie and ate three slices before bed and one for breakfast.  He had the best soccer game of his life the next morning scoring 4 goals. Again don't want to pat my own back but I'm gonna pat-this pie might have magical powers.
Breaking News:  Nash didn't like it!  Surprise, Surprise, he doesn't like anything that doesn't come from McDonald's or Chick-fil-A.
Harley was sleeping during our baking time but she enjoyed a slice the next morning for breakfast. Once again, I don't mean to sing my own praises, but I'm gonna sing-the pie made her even cuter.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Melisa! This looks yummy. I am going to have to try it.

Melinda said...

I'm not sure even magic pie could make Harley more adorable than she already is.

Thanks for the inspiring post! I've got a bunch of apples on my dining room table - and now I know what to do with them.