Monday, November 10, 2008

A Day in the District

Today the boys and I went into the district. I really wanted to go to the National Archives. Each time we choose to go into town our experience is full of ups and downs! It is actually an emotional roller coaster. Here is a synopsis of the "ups" and "downs" of our day in the district.

Up #1: The tourist season is officially over, until Thanksgiving weekend that is, and we actually found a parking space directly across from the National Archives. This is exciting stuff!

Down #1: While in the National Archives, Nash had a melt down when we were told by the security guards that he could not carry his sippy cup near 250 year old documents. I guess we kind of knew that.

Up #2: We saw them! Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence and we only waited for 30 minutes.

Down #2: Nash refuses to ride in his stroller so I end up carrying a 30 lb. baby, pushing a 50 lb. stroller, and yelling at a 35 lb. four year old to keep up with us before he gets kidnapped or hit by a car.
Up #3: We went to the National Air and Space Museum for the 38th time and ate at McDonald's in the museum for the 38th time. (Yes, Atley is wearing his pilot costume.)

Down #3: We went to the National Air and Space Museum for the 38th time and ate at the McDonald's in the museum for the 38th time.

Up#4: According to the moon scale at the Air and Space Museum I only weigh 20lbs. on the moon.

Down #4: According to the Mars scale at the Air and Space Museum I weigh 80 lbs. on Mars. This is great but 80 lbs. on Mars equates to 240 lbs. on earth. I am hoping that the scale is more than a little off or we will not be going back to the McDonald's at the Air and Space museum for a very long time.

Up #5: A visit to any museum is always educational.

Down #5: A visit to any museum always culminates with a a trip to the gift shop and a temper tantrum for another toy.

Up #6: The fall weather was beautiful and the trees are gorgeous.

Down #6: I picked the day that Obama went to visit Bush at the White House. So, upon returning to my car that I parked so proudly on Constitution Avenue next to the Archives, I realized that Constitution was closed for Obama's motorcade.

Up #7: While sitting in traffic waiting for Obama to make his way to the White House I took a lot of random pictures of some pretty cool stuff, such as crazy D.C. protesters, our country's great flag waving proudly next to the EPA building, and of course Washington Monument behind Washington's Autumn trees.

2 comments:

Rick Galan said...

Ah meltdowns...we know all too well about those. Still it looks like you guys had lots of fun. I think its great that you take your boys to so many historical sites. I'd love to be able to do that!

Roscoe and Daisy said...

You are so courages and daring to take the boys by yourself on so many adventures even though you wonder why sometimes you put yourself through it. I think its awesome and I love your blog entries and pictures of your trip!