Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A real Illness!

I don't make fun of people who dress inappropriately for their body shape and/or size. The type of person that makes you want to scratch your head and say, "Didn't they look in the mirror before they left home today?" Why don't I mock these poor souls you may ask? Well, first because of my Christ-like love for my fellow man but also because I know that these individuals are suffering from a real illness because I suffer from the same disease. It is called Reverse Anorexia Distortion Disorder or RADD (you don't need to remember this name because I totally made it up).

People suffering from anorexia look into the mirror and their image of themselves is distorted. Regardless of how thin they become they still see a person who is overweight. In the illness that I and so many other American's suffer from the opposite happens. I look into the mirror in the morning and I actually believe that I look okay, presentable even and then throughout the course of the day's activities I may catch my reflection in a store window or heaven forbid someone snap a picture of me that I view later and I realize that my perception of myself is in fact completely distorted. What I thought was a well-kept carefully dressed individual is in fact a complete fashion disaster. Doctor's have tried to discover the root cause of this illness but it still remains a mystery. Theories include exhaustion, having children, aversion to diet and exercise, bargain sales (even if it is ugly and it doesn't fit you buy it because it is cheap), and a myriad of other possibilities. The truth is I don't really care what the cause is, I just need a cure.

If you feel that you may suffer from this disease please know that you are not alone. If you are fortunate enough to be able to look at yourself in the mirror in an objective way, actually seeing the reality of whomever it is that is looking back at you, consider yourself blessed and don't make fun of those less fortunate than yourself.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Finally! A name for the condition I live with everyday! So I guess the treatment would be dieting, going to the gym and buying nice clothes right? Hmmmm...maybe I will wait until there is a pill...

The King Family said...

I always knew that I had a condition and I've been telling Keith that all these years. I will have to show him that I haven't been lying this whole time!

The Hasletts said...

You are too funny. You always look good, so I don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for the chuckle, though! I must have this same disorder. ha ha

Ginny Lubin Butler said...

Hilarious! If you're not gorgeous, you've sure got the rest of us fooled!

Roscoe and Daisy said...

I third that you are beautiful and always dress so. I love your blog entries they always put a smile to my face. Y ou are awesome- thanks for the laugh!

Sarah Bisel said...

WHATEVER! You are the best fashionista ever....me on the other hand, I certainly suffer from RADD!