Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Adventures in Parenthood!

Nash has been sick for the last few days and we have been stuck inside of the house. Atley
and I were getting cabin fever. So, last night when Nash woke up from his afternoon nap and seemed to be completely healed, I figured that today would be a great day to journey downtown. Nash woke up in a great mood this morning and soon after lunch we drove into town. Miraculously we found a parking spot right away and I was sure this was a sign that we were going to have a perfect afternoon. I think I was wrong. The plan was to take the trike/stroller and big wheel around the Tidal Basin in front of the Jefferson Memorial and then visit the memorial. But, the first thing Atley saw were the paddle boat rentals on the Tidal Basin. I thought, why not! We had to rent a four-seater because Nash somehow counted as a regular person, not the munchkin that he really is. Adventure #1-trying to get Nash to wear his life jacket. He screamed and pretty much completely freaked out! Adventure #2-trying to hold a screaming Nash in the paddle boat, paddle, steer, and keep Atley from jumping/ falling overboard! Adventure #3-The natural flow of the tide in the basin pushed us out to the middle of the lake, getting back was a different story. We just kept floudering in the center of the basin. It took me forever, with my various distractions to paddle (a four person paddle boat with two crazy boys) back to dock by myself. Needless to say when we finally arrived back at the dock I was exhausted. Keep in mind it is 90 degrees outside with 100% humidity. Despite my exhaustion and frustration Atley reminded me that I had promised him, that he could ride his big wheel to the memorial. Adventure #4-Trying to keep Atley focused with all the distractions of Washington D.C. around him while pushing Nash in his trike/stroller. Adventure #5-Of course, when the boys got off their bikes at the memorial Nash thought it meant he could run around wild! He wouldn't hold my hand or let me carry him. He just ran around screaming "FREE, FREE, FREE!" A fitting phrase as we stood in the shadow of the writer of the Declaration of Independence. Adventure #6-Attempting to get my "FREE" boys, mainly Nash, back on his trike for the 1/2 mile trip back to the car. He flailed himself every direction and contorted his body like some sort of circus freak as I tried to fasten him onto his trike. All the while Atley is riding his big wheel, apparently chasing a mounted police officer's horse. At least that is what the officer said when he asked if I could use his assistance. I gave up on trying to get Nash on his trike so I carried him in one armed, pushed the trike in the other and worked really hard at keeping Atley focused enough to stay on the road without running over any tourists. Next time I might ask Scott to come along! I think it might have been a little easier. I am also going to start a new blog entitled: "Things mother's should never do alone with their children." My first entry-Paddle Boat Around the Tidal Basin in Washington D.C.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melisa - you deserve big kudos for even having the idea and attempting it! I bet it's a day the kids will remember! You are a brave, brave woman!

Rick Galan said...

Tee hee...I have a few things I could add to your new blog and I only have 1 kid. Sounds like you had quite the adventure.

Wendi said...

Sounds like the fun adventure! I just found your blog, your boys are really growing and look so much like their mommy. Tell Scott I said 'hello'. Are you going home in July? We're finally going back, after 15 months!

Roscoe and Daisy said...

Oh Melisa! Your blog entries always crack me up and make me miss the fun talks we had about our crazy boys! It would be so much fun to come out and visit you guys one of these days. I love the east and Washington D.C. I want to go back and visit. I love your entries!

G&G said...

Oh my goodness,another fun day where A&N took DC by storm. The paddle boat ride sounds painful but I can see by the pictures that they loved it. You are a brave Mom, good idea about taking Scott next time.