Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Frogs, Flowers, and Foliage

Isn't Springtime great? Today I was mowing the lawn and feeling so grateful for the beautiful flowers and trees when suddenly a frog jumped up from in front of the lawnmower and landed right on the handle next to my hand. I quickly grabbed it with my opposite hand and yelled to the boys, "Come see what I captured?" They materialized in front of me like only little boys can when they think they might get to see something slimy or disgusting. When I opened my hand to show them the fat little frog, Nash clapped and Atley snatched it and ran. To my chagrin he was heading straight for the house to find a container for the frog and Nash was nipping at his heels. But, Atley fell face first on the patio with frog in hand. Not only was I sure that he must have busted out his two front teeth but I was also sure that the frog was mincemeat. Atley hopped up and exclaimed, "Yes, it's still alive!" Nash clapped again. They went into the house and it only took a moment or two until I heard them yelling-"It's loose. Get it!" The frog was loose in the house for only about 30 minutes until Nash finally cornered it with his chubby little hands. At that point the frog was safely put in a container and the next hour was spent capturing bugs to feed to our new pet Fred! I continued mowing the lawn wondering how I could convince the boys to release the frog before they killed it. Well, I didn't have to worry long. While Nash was trying to feed it some unidentifiable creature he had found in the dirt the frog escaped. Farewell Freddy, it was fun while it lasted. Here are some pictures of Fred the Frog, and some of the flowers, and foliage blooming in our yard this week!










3 comments:

G&G said...

Oh my goodnes, your yard is looking simply gorgeous. Loved the frog story reminded me of by gone days with little boys that loved bugs and critters.

Roscoe and Daisy said...

Your yard is beautiful and the flowers are awesome! The trees the greenery- I miss it so much~! YOur new place looks great.How are you liking the new area and house? Good thing Freddy made it out a live. Jet the fish didn't have the same luck. I like your detailed entry I could almost see Atley and his chubby hands chasing the frog and almost squishing it to death.

The Hasletts said...

Hello! Glad you're doing well. Great story about the frog. Sorry we didn't get to talk too much last week. Thanks for calling. It was great to hear your voice. SO...we're headed to Washington, DC in July!!! Yea! We need your help, though. Can you come up with some things we can do while we are there. It needs to be fairly cheap, close and fun for all. We'd really appreciate it. Oh, and I need your phone number so I can give ya a call. Luv ya!!