Sunday, December 8, 2013

Colonial Days & a Christmasy Weekend

This year Atley's class is studying Virginia History. On Friday the school hosted a Colonial day.  It was really an amazing event for the kids. With the help of a lot of parents the kids had the option to attend 5 out of 12 classes in which they learned all about colonial life. The classes ranged from quilting, to colonial herbs & medicines, to calligraphy. I had the wonderful privilege of teaching tin-smithing.  That's right! I taught one hundred 4th graders who were all wielding potentially deadly weapons and sharp pieces of tin how to punch intricate designs with a nail and a hammer.  My ears are still a little sore.  The truth is it actually made me a little nostalgic for teaching.  We really had so much fun.  The kids performed Colonial dances like the Virginia Reel and ate a fantastic colonial lunch.  Of course we were all in costume.


Saturday night was our church Christmas Party. This gave the kids a chance to reiterate just exactly what they hope to find under the tree Christmas morning.
We also had a few minutes Saturday morning to craft, which is definitely one of my favorite Christmas activities.  We made these cute little snowman ornaments from battery-powered tea lights (Target $ Section).

 Today (Sunday) the snow and ice came. Church was let out early and Scott built a cozy fire. The kids sledded for awhile only to come in and warm themselves by the fire.  Then we roasted marshmallows and ate s'mores.  It was perfect. I felt so Norman Rockwell-ish. To top off our beautiful little piece of perfect Americana, we discovered that school was cancelled. You have no idea how much I needed a snow day! A day where I wasn't needed or expected to go anywhere. I cannot wait.


No comments: