Tuesday, September 30, 2008

New York City

We had an exciting, fun, and incredibly exhausting weekend in New York. We left Thursday night after work and the 4 hour trip turned into 6 1/2 hours when the D.C. traffic would not cooperate. We got to our apartment around midnight. Thanks to Scott's mom and her Delta Connections we had an awesome apartment on 2nd Avenue and 47th street right across the street from the United Nations building. Our bedroom had an awesome view of the city including the Chrysler Building. Here is a synopsis of the weekend's activities:
Day 1
Despite a very late night the boys were up by 6:30AM and we were out the door by 7:30. Unfortunately, nothing was open this early so we wandered around 5th Avenue in the rain until FAO Shwarz opened at 10AM. We spent at least 3 hours in FAO Shwarz. Atley custom built his very own hotwheels car and Nash rearranged the store by pulling toys off shelves and dropping them in different places. They played the big piano, just like Tom Hanks in "BIG." After three hours in FAO Shwarz it was time for a mommy store so we went to Tiffany's. Of course with the boys along we were only in Tiffany's for about 15 minutes. We checked out Trump
Tower and then we returned to the apartment ate lunch and took a nap. That night we walked around the United Nation's building where I found 20 British Pounds- equivalent to $36. Then we spent the rest of the night on Time's Square. Most of that time was again spent in a Toy Store. Toys R Us on Times Square is incredible. It has an enormous Ferris Wheel inside that we had a ton of fun on. After dinner we walked back home only getting lost once and meandering down a scary street with even scarier people. Scott's parents and sister flew in Friday night to join the party.


Day 2
Up early to attend a session at the Manhattan Temple. This was a great experience, a moment's peace from the noise and bustle of the city. A somewhat confusing subway ride back to the apartment for a quick bite and we were off again. We took the subway to the World Trade Center site, which was a pretty emotional experience. Next, shopping at Century 21-my opinion the world's largest TJ Max. We then walked up Wall Street and explored Trinity Church of National Treasure fame and burial site of Alexander Hamilton. Then, more walking to Battery Park to catch a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, it was too cloudy to see her though. After spending at least an hour on the wrong subway trains we ended up in Chinatown. What a crazy place. The goal was to buy an expensive brand name purse at a really cheap price. This turned into a bit of a frightening experience. I go into a little open street store and a woman whispers in my ear that they have Gucci, Coach, and Chanel purses in the back. So, I naively follow her. She unlocks one door closes it behind us. She then unlocks another door and closes it behind us. Finally, behind door number three Bruce Lee is waiting with his stash of stolen purses. I suddenly find myself locked in a back room on some scary alley, with a guy who looks quite skilled in the art of Kung Fu. I survived and the most important thing is I got my Coach purse. We continued to peruse Chinatown looking at all the vendors and the strange fruits and vegetables on sale. Then we headed back to the apartment for dinner.
Day 3
The boys all went to Yankee stadium to see it once more before they tear it down. The girls spent the morning in the American Girl Doll Store, very fun-very cute. But, before that I had to exchange my pounds for dollars. So, we stopped at the Waldorf Astoria and I completely made a fool out of myself by pretending to be a guest registered under the name of Paul Smith. It is a very long story that I will not bore you with, but I eventually got my money. Next, onto Rockefeller Center and a taxi ride to Pier 83 to meet up with the guys and take a 3 hour boat tour around Manhattan Island. We were finally able to see the Statue of Liberty. The tour was great even though Nash threw-up right before we got on the boat. Taxi ride back to the apartment quick dinner and then we were back on the road for Washington. We got home around 11:30 Sunday night.

6 comments:

Roscoe and Daisy said...

Wow! What a fun exhausting trip you had. How cool that you get to do such awesome things. I love the east there is so much to do and you only have to drive a couple hours to go to different states. I am jealous! I'm glad you guys had fun!

Wendi said...

Sounds like so much fun. I know what you mean by time squares toys r us. My friends and I went 2 years ago and even without kids we spent a long time in there :) Glad it was a fun trip. I love NYC and have loved both my trips there, just wish my husband shared the love so I could go back again.

Shawn Butler said...

Remarkably, that sounds hauntingly similar to our experience in NYC... even down to the getting lost on the subways! For some reason, it is really tricky to get from 53rd to the Temple.
I'm glad you guys had fun and I love the sub-plot of the 20 pound note that kept appearing. I look forward to hearing the whole of that story one day.
This was our experience, I'm sure you'll sympathize.

The Anderson's said...

How fun it must be to explore that side of the country! I would have thought buying a purse could be a dangerous experience!

Unknown said...

That sounds like an amazing trip! Jam packed! I think I might have had to sleep for like three days after that. But how fun for the boys to get to go and see New York and how fun for you! Although, too bad the Tiffany trip was so short.

Rick Galan said...

Your boys get cuter and cuter all the time. Wish we lived closer to you so we'd get to hang out more often than once a year. If you feel like visiting Utah, we have plenty of room for you. :)