Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Bug's Life

Atley had a holiday from school today, partly for a teacher workday, but mostly so that everyone in the area could vote and then bite their nails in worry for their favorite candidate. We headed to the Museum of Natural History!

While the boys love exploring the Hall of Mammals, seeing the dinosaur bones and the giant squid, their favorite part has always been the insect zoo and butterfly pavilion.


Today they held some giant cockroaches, a millipede, and some caterpillars. We also spent a long time visiting the butterflies. The boys were like magnets for these flying wonders. Atley walked around with a Blue Morpho Butterfly stuck to his back for at least 10 minutes. Tragedy struck when a Monarch Butterfly landed on Nash's head and with her lightening fast reflexes Harley reached for it and crushed it between her chubby little fingers. The docents were completely horrified and I had a hard time keeping a straight face as I peeled butterfly guts out of her little hand. I think they would have prosecuted her for butterfly murder if they could have, instead they settled on complaining about my inadequacies as a mother. "How could a six month old possibly harm an innocent butterfly without her mother's knowledge?" I wonder the same thing. When Atley accidentally stepped on another unfortunate butterfly, we knew it was time to go. Is it morbid to still call our visit a success?









In the end the excitement of all the bug crushing proved to be too much for Harley and Nash.

2 comments:

Nik said...

What an amazing day! So much fun!

Tracy said...

Haha, you crack me up. I think people are way too serious about their butterflies over there. I could see my kids doing the same thing.