Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goodbye!

It is with mixed emotions that I bid a final farewell to my breast pump.  We have been intimately acquainted for quite some time now.  I have used you for all three children, a total of  34 months, averaging 6 pumpings per day (12 at the beginning, 3 at the end), at approximately 10 minutes each pumping session, which equals 61,800 minutes with you attached to me.  Let me quantify this even more, that is a total of almost 43 days.  Yes, one might call us close, very close.  One might also say that this is way too much information. But, we know what a big step this is for us.  The freedom that we now feel as we part ways. This is an event that must be documented. Together we not only fed my children but also the children of strangers in an obscure  African village when we donated our liquid gold. I know you are sad, but since the doc deemed my baby factory condemned, I will never have a use for you again.  You have served me well, but truthfully I am not sad to see you go.  I am only crying because it means my little baby is getting bigger. We have accomplished what we set out to accomplish. We remember well the day more than 7 years ago when that crazy La Leche League lady told us that we couldn't do it.  No one could pump for a year, she said.  Well, she was wrong. We pumped until the milk ran dry. To her we say, "Take that SUCKA!!!"

Goodbye, Medela may you put someone else's breasts to good use.

2 comments:

Jared-n-Krystal said...

Love the post! You rock for making it so long with all three of your kids. I look up to you!!

Tracy said...

WOW!!! that's all I can say. That is amazing you pumped for a year. I hated to pump, and could only do it during the first 3 months, after that, well - I hardly even had milk for my baby and had to use the frozen reserves from the first 3 months. tmi - anyway I bet you're glad to say farwell to the pump.