Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Whatcha' Doing?


It's been a long time since I have had time to do anything crafty, but today I busted out the hot glue gun and made this seashell wreath.  These shells are just a few of the at least 20 pounds we hauled back from Panama. 


It is also canning season at our house.  Scott hates this time of year. He has convinced himself that it always ends in some sort of a disaster, just because of one little incident involving exploding glass, a melted kitchen rug, a few minor burns, and some glass shards embedded in a foot.  He is so dramatic.  Anyway,  I canned seven quarts of peaches and 18 pints of jam.  My grandma's raspberry peach recipe can be found HERE on my blog.
This year I also tried a strawberry/peach freezer jam that we absolutely love.  We have eaten 3 pints in 4 days.

Peach & Strawberry Freezer Jam

3 Cups Peaches
2 Cups Strawberries
1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice
1 Box of Sure Jell Fruit Pectin
4 1/2 Cups of Sugar
1 Cup of Light Corn Syrup

After peeling and removing the pits from the peaches and the stems from the strawberries chop in a food processor. Do not over chop. You want a few chunks.  Add the lemon juice and the pectin.  Allow the pectin to dissolve for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the corn syrup and then the sugar.  Pour into PREPARED freezable glass jars.  Do not overfill because the jam will expand when it freezes. It should last about a year in the freezer and up to 3 weeks in the fridge.

Adapted from Chief-In-Training


In other news, I went to Target today and Atley had me paged. He told the security guard he was lost, which was odd considering he was right next me only 2 minutes earlier.  Nash was so excited when my name was blared over the loud speaker in the store. I think there was a bit of a conspiracy between the brothers.

No comments: