Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tinker Table

I read somewhere that children's author Mo Willems' kitchen table is one giant doodle and each night during dinner the family draws and writes on it.  I thought that was such an awesome idea. I might even try it someday, but for now, I try to make our kitchen table what I call a "Tinker Table" everyday.  I put out some art supplies and walk away. It is amazing how the kids are drawn to it, especially Harley and what they come up with each day.  Nash recently wrote his life story at our Tinker Table, complete with me lying on my back with a huge belly, while an evil looking doctor wielded a giant knife over me, ready to deliver Nash into the world.  I was never more thankful for my C-Sections.  I would have hated to see Nash's depiction had my children been born the normal way.  Also, Nash, our budding Van Gogh, painted this masterpiece.
One of Harley's favorite projects is gluing googly eyes on people in magazines. By the way, this is great for fine motor skills, which I have learned the hard way need to be developed just like any other muscle.


Atley used the Tinker Table to write a book, expressing his disdain of a few things. I think it was pretty cathartic for him.
"The Caveman Who Invented Stuff I Don't Like"
By:Atley
Dedication:
"To Lucy the cutest kitty ever!!!!
And to my family, world's nicest people."
"A long time ago on a continent not far away...
Hi! I am Jonathan the caveman. I am about to invent an S.O.L (end of year assessment test), then I will event a pop quiz."
 
"Now I will invent homework, my favorite invention yet.  Now I will invent italian chicken, my favorite food."
 "Ahhhhhhh! T-Rex. CHOMP!
The End"

 
Here is my recipe for ITALIAN Chicken: 
(Jonathan the Caveman's Favorite, Atley's Most Hated)
3 to 4 Chicken Breasts
1 Envelope Italian Dressing Mix
8 Oz. Cream Cheese
Egg Noodles or Rice
Milk if needed
 
Place Chicken Breasts in crockpot and cover with dressing mix.  Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.  Shred chicken with a fork and add cubed cream cheese. Cook for additional 30 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. Add milk if mixture is too thick. Serve over egg noodles or rice.
 


No comments: