Monday, March 11, 2013

Please Mom

How many times a day do you hear yourself say, "Just a minute!"  I say it to my children a whole lot and sometimes that "just a minute" turns into never.
 Nash found a thimble a few weeks ago. He thought it was the cutest thing ever. He didn't know what it was for and I explained to him that it was for sewing.  Since then he had been begging me to teach him how to sew.  I kept saying, "Just a minute" or "Maybe tomorrow."  In the midst of all of this I heard some unsettling news about an amazing YOUNG woman I go to church with. She is just 26 with two small children. It was discovered that she had kidney cancer, but it had spread to her lungs. She needs a miracle and her faith is helping her believe that she is going to get one. I pray that she does because if anyone in this world is deserving of a miracle it is her. She is an inspiration to all of us. It was soon after I heard this news that Nash approached me with yet another request that I teach him to sew.  Why not?  What was I really doing at that moment that could potentially become a memory for me or my child? The dishes, vacuuming, Facebook? None of those things were important and because of my new shining example I have been reminded of that simple truth once again. It seems like I frequently need these little reminders to get my priorities straight.  Maybe someday I will figure it out.  By the way, if you get a chance, please say a little prayer for Brennan and her family. And maybe say yes, when your baby says, "Please mom?"


1 comment:

jenny said...

Nash, a very smart lady told me a long time ago that if you are going to learn to sew, do it right, with a thimble. I took her advice and sew nothing now without a thimble. Way to go!

ps. i have a great collection of thimbles from all over the world, next time you are at my house i will show them to you :)