Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Baseboards & Boot Buttons

Over the holidays I attended a Christmas party at the home  mansion of a close acquaintance.  As some of my friends and I sat chatting about how beautiful the home was, someone asked the question, "What about this place do you envy the most?"  One woman said the woodwork in the library, another said the artwork, the pantry, the music room, the list went on and on.  Then it was my turn and I said the baseboards.  "The baseboards. What is so special about the baseboards?"   I said, "Look how clean they are! Not a scratch, not a scuff.  Look at the walls not a finger print or nail hole.  I have never seen such pristine baseboards. I would love to have clean baseboards."  Needless to say everyone thought I was crazy, but I was completely serious.   Life with young children is all about survival.  I cannot remember the last time that I had the time or the energy to pay attention to my baseboards, to de-scuff and scrub.  I am so proud of myself if all of the toys are put away at the end of the day and the toilets are all flushed.  Baseboards! They are a pipe dream for me now, but someday I will have those pristine baseboards and along with those pristine baseboards I will probably only have the memory of a pair of boots that were bedazzled by my little girl.
Harley has spent enough time with me to learn how to be very handy with a glue gun.  Using those skills in a completely loving way, she decided to replace a button on my new  boots with something "more beautiful and pink!"  I guess I could have taken off the pink button and found the UGG button to fix it, but I just didn't have the heart.  While I loved the boots from the first moment I slipped them on my cold feet, they mean  more to me now.  Someday my baseboards will be beautiful, but my boots won't be nearly as fancy. So, for now I am just going to enjoy my pink button and save the baseboards for another day.

No comments: